I do not agree with the sentence imposed by the Vermont criminal court.

If you do not agree with the sentence imposed by the judge in a Vermont criminal case you have some options.

  •  You can appeal your Vermont criminal conviction or sentence to the Vermont Supreme Court for review.
  • You can move for a reduction of sentence within 90 days pursuant to Vermont Rule of Criminal Procedure 35(b). That rule states that “the court, on its own initiative or on motion of the defendant, may reduce a sentence within 90 days after the sentence is imposed, or within 9o days after entry of any order or judgment of the Supreme Court upholding judgment of the conviction.”
    • This Rule is interesting because it provides the Vermont Superior Court authority to modify a lawful, but inappropriate sentence.
  • You can pursue post-conviction relief.


lawyer typing at desk next to gavil

How to File a Restraining Order in Vermont

In Vermont, you can apply for a “sexual assault or stalking protective order,” which is what is commonly referred to as a “Restraining Order.” The sexual assault or stalking protective order is an order from

Read More »

Let's Talk

Contact Us
If charges are Federal, select "Federal Charges".

Call Now Button