If you do not agree with the sentence imposed by the judge in a Vermont criminal case you have some options.

  •  You can appeal your Vermont criminal conviction or sentence to the Vermont Supreme Court for review.
  • You can move for a reduction of sentence within 90 days pursuant to Vermont Rule of Criminal Procedure 35(b). That rule states that “the court, on its own initiative or on motion of the defendant, may reduce a sentence within 90 days after the sentence is imposed, or within 9o days after entry of any order or judgment of the Supreme Court upholding judgment of the conviction.”
    • This Rule is interesting because it provides the Vermont Superior Court authority to modify a lawful, but inappropriate sentence.
  • You can pursue post-conviction relief.


Contact Burke Law for A Free Case Consultation

If you have been charged with a crime, or if you have not been formally charged with crime but are party to an ongoing investigation, contact us to ensure that your rights are protected from the earliest stages of the process. We offer free consultations and will work with you to find a time that accommodates your schedule.